The Town of Ayden Public Works Department is responsible for a number of job functions to include street maintenance, sidewalk maintenance, drainage, right-of-way maintenance, refuse collection, cemetery opening/closings, and landscaping of town property. The Public Works Department is comprised of a 8 man crew who work diligently to maintain an appealing aesthetic appearance for the Town.
Public Works Superintendent
The Public Works Department is led by Ja'Warren Cooper.

Ja'Warren Cooper


Each residential customer is provided one (1) green roll-out for garbage collection and one (1) blue recycling bin for disposal of household waste and are the property of the Town of Ayden. Both services are included in your monthly billing statement and are charged at $11.50/month. Additional green roll-outs can be added to your collection for an additional monthly fee of $11.50.  Households requiring additional capacity for recycling can purchase a blue rolling recycling cart, similar in size to the green roll-out, for $65.00 and will the property of the purchaser (Purchase to be made at Town Hall).  Additional blue recycling bins are not for purchase nor included in additional monthly fees.

Roll-outs and bins should be placed by the curb no sooner than 5:00 pm the day before collection and must be removed from the curb and taken back to the residence no later than 7:00 pm on the scheduled collection day.  All garbage must be bagged and placed in the roll-out for proper collection.  Recycling must be contained within the blue bin or blue roll-out and may only contain the following materials:  aluminum, glass, plastic, sin/steel cans, cardboard, newspapers, magazines, paperboard (cake mix boxes, tissue boxes).  To find out what your collection day is, please click here.  For more information on recycling please click here.

Building and Contractor Rubbish:  Any building rubbish or debris must be removed by the contractor on a weekly basis.  Yard and tree debris shall be removed daily by the person hired to do the work.  Disposal of the items may be carried to the Pitt County Landfill located on Allen Road.  For more information on what can be disposed of at the landfill or transfer sites please click here.


NCDOT Announces Online Pothole Reporting

NCDOT recently announced its new online pothole reporting system with a commitment to fix potholes within 2 days of receiving a citizen request.  Go to or, if you prefer speaking to a representative, call 1-877-368-4968.  Please note:  only roads with "SR"/number on the road sign are state maintained roads.  Examples include: 102/Third Street; Old NC11/Lee Street; Jolly Road and Snow Hill Street.  For a visual aid, you may click here for a map.